Here's a little treat: recipe of Khoresht-e Fesenjan (slang: Fesenjoon)
Ingredients: (6 servings, keeps well in freezer)
- (preferebly boneless) Chicken pieces, 1 kg
- Ground walnuts, 300 grams
- 1 large onion
- Half a cup of pomegranate sauce (the Iranian version is rather sweet, the Mediterranean one more sour)
- Sugar, 2-3 spoons 4 tbl spoons of oil Salt, black pepper, and 1 tea spoon of tumeric
- Peel onions and slice thinly. Fry in oil on medium heat until slightly golden.
- Add tumeric to onions and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Fry chicken pieces (3-inch cuts) in onions until color changes.
- Add ground walnuts and fry for 5 minutes, stirring continuously to prevent burning walnut.
- Add one cup of water and bring to boil.
- Add pomegranate sauce and simmer long enough until the sauce thickens.
- The khoresht is well cooked when the oil in walnuts comes out (you will see a layer of yellow oil over the pot, you can dispose it, if you like).
- Khoresht fesenjan should be served with white rice.
Variatoin: replace chicken with meatballs (ground beef, chicpea flour, grated onions, one egg)