This is a bit of a shock to me ... I am inclined to think conspiracy ... he was providing the starkest and also the most sincere opposition to the regime:
- He protested to atrocities to which the judiciary is partially admitting (i.e. to those killings whose photographs are distributed)
- He protested to the concept of religious monarchy
- He was the only cleric, the only founder of the IRI who stood to khomeini AGAINST the prison abuse and killings of political dissidents
- He was supposed to be the supreme leader, until he began protesting to IRI's atrocities--for which he was humiliated and put under house arrest.
...But he was 87 ...
But he was in good health ... apparently his son says so ......
I will add more info as they become available.
Yes ... Khamenei better be shaking in his robe ... already large crowds of his followers from several cities are heading to his home Ayatollah Montazeri's followers are real Shiites ... and Ashura-day will coincide with Ayatollah Montazeri's 7th day of mourning; an important day in Iranian mourning tradition ... no Basiji, no thug, no fascist will be able to hold people back from this funeral ...
This snapshot of Farlse News front page is an indication of HOW afraid of Montazeri this regime is:
Titles in order of appearance
- 93% of Iranians are pro-nuclear development!
- A young Afgan boy died under an American tank!
- Salahshoor [Some asshole pretending to be a cinematographer]: Our filmmakers are not familiar with Ashura Epic!
- Hojjatol-Eslam-Val-Moslemin [a religious title for people who have not reached the rank of Ayatollah yet]: If someone disagrees with the supreme leader, god punishes him!
- Salimi responds to Hashemi's second response!
- [and then finally] Hosseinali Montazeri passed away at the age of 87! [No mention of his title: Ayatollah Ozma, which means GRAND ayatollah; no mention of his being the senior mojtahed of ghom, no mention of hhis being the CO-founder of the IRI, no mention of his being the theoretician of "Velayat-e Faghih"--something he regretted later for the abuse of power it unleashed, and against which he spoke bravely ... the fear of Farce news, the Gobblesian mouthpiece of Ahmadinejad's lies, is apparent in the ommission of Ayatollah Montazeri's religious titles ... these people seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot ... we shall show them ...]
Already, university students are canceling classes and gathering in Qoran-reading groups to mourn Ayatollah's departure. On Montazeri's facebook, there are plenty of moving testimonials of people who remember how Montazeri was the only official who showed care and sympathy when they sought help with the arest of their children in the 80s; people are remembering how he was ridiculed because he cried on TV the loss of his son in a terrorist attack in 1981 ...
(See more pictures here)
Karoubi, Khatami have also issued sad and graceful condolence messages. Khamenei has issued a double-edged one; where first he praises the grandness of the ayatollah and then prays for him to be forgiven for the "sin" of opposing Imam Khomeini
(when i say these people are intent on shooting themselves on the foot, this is what i mean: Khamenei is even INCREASING the worth of Montazeri by bringing up his disagreement with Khomeini). Hashemi has also issued a statement.
Many of IRI's who's who will be attending the funeral tomorrow.