Saturday, December 9, 2006

The Century Photos




I invested a few GBPs on these books today. (If you are in North America, they would cost you a quarter of what they cost in the UK!) These are century photos. As I browse these decades, which are the most important ones to my life, the pictures remind me that in 1921 a Russian child was wasted to starvation during the civil war; that in July 1968, a milliion innocent people died of starvation on the Biafran war; that in 1979 the mass graves of Pol Pot's victims were uncovered; that in 1991 more that 150 ,000 Iraqis were killed in the first Gulf war --I can't help remembering that over 500,000 Iraqi Children died in the following years due to economic sanctions imposed on Iraq, and I also can't help remembering the Secretary of State (Madeline Albright) stating that it was a price that had to be paid to "contain Saddam"; and I can't help wondering on which currency the American's determine the affrodability of war ... somehow I am thinking of the Amrican portions of food served ... and of large cars ... 600,000 then, 600,000 now, the cost of containing Saddam ... whose hand they shook, not so long ago, when he dumped chemical bombs on Iran ...

1 comment:

bijan said...

New to your blog. I've been away from Iran for a very long time. Interesting posts.