Oath ceremony began with 15 mins delay
Because most of the seats of the representatives were empty, some of guests from the second floor was invited to the floor of the parliament to fill in the seats! [Another lawless behavior!]
Most of the invited foreign dignitaries were absent, or had sent low-level diplomats.
Although LArijani thanked the national artist and sport celebrities, no celebrity was spotted in the audience [yesterday's angry reaction to some pop artists and athletes who attended certification must have worked]
Majority of Imam Khomeini's fraction, together with the executive committee of the fraction: Mrs Tabesh, Hashemiyan, Ghanbari, Nariman, Ansari, Sazdar were absent.
Only the following [of the 70 strong minority party] were present: Foroozesh, Shahriyari, Pashang, Alikhani, Kavakebiyan, Dastgheyb, Danayee, Olia, Pezeshkian, Sajadiyan, Moghimi, Amini, Khabbaz, Pourfatemi, Nasiri and Hosein Hashemi.
Importantly, Hashemi Rafsanjani was absent. (as head of the Assembly of Experts and the Expediency council, this is SIGNIFICANT]
From the executive committee of the Assembly of Experts, only Hashemi Shahroodi (as the head of the judiciary) was present. [wow!] Even some of supporters of Ahmadinejad, such as Yazdi, and Ahmad Khatami were not present. Only 5-6 of the Assembly of Experts were present! Importantly, Mohsen Rezayee, Omidvar Rezayee and Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (all conservatives) were absent.
Although all Imams of Friday Prayer were invited, most of them did not participate.
The empty front seats of the parliament were willed with military figures and Supreme Leaders's chief of affairs! [I suspect the giant in the picture]
Saffar Harandi, [the sacked; and resigned in teh last 8 days of A.N.s presidency] sat farther part from the rest of the cabinet. However, Rouhollah Hoseinian and Sadegh Mahsooli and ALi Kordan were present and sat behind General Firoozabadi!
Despite clear presence of security forces, significant number of people gathered near BAharestan. These assemblies led to violence and some of the protesters were arrested by the Basiji and plain clothes.
Invisible tear gas (severly burning the eyes and the skin) was continuously fired around the building.
A highschool in the neighborhood was used as temporary detention center
All stores around Baharestan Square were forced to close.
Some plain-clothes security forces (with unclear affiliation) were videotaping the crowds.
- The Iran's Participation Front has issued another angry statement (EN); insisting on invalidity of the presidency and the wave of illegal arrests.
- Ahmadinejad has been transported to the parliament via a helicopter.
- Crowds have booed foreign dignitaries.
- Ahmadinejad has said he doesn't care that the "arrogant powers" will not congratulate him.
- The director of Tehran's oil refinery arrested on suspicions of strike. (I need confirmation still. This may have to do with Ahmadinejad's privatization of some of oil and gas industries.)
- Protesters are moving to other parts of the city and thousands of security (uniformed and non-uniformed are unleashed).
- Families of detainees and some others have been chanting Allaho-Akbar in front of the Judiciary office.
- Persian readers: Mehrangiz Kaar (lawyer) warns of new wave of violence after inauguration of the little dictator.
- Persian: at least 3 Billion dollars missing from Ahmadinejad's books!
- Ahmadinejad merges ministry of Mines and Resources with Ministry of Industry (hence reducing one cabinet minister)
AND even IRNA's front page doesn't have much fanfare about the Tahlif (Oath) ceremony! But this page made me laugh; so here's snapshot!